Websites – especially business websites – present a lucrative option for hackers. Websites – especially business websites – present a lucrative option for hackers. They deal with money and sensitive customer data, which, when website security is compromised, can put enterprise reputations at stake.
Simply put, your website security matters. It’s your job to check your website security status from time to time by employing the right testing methods and security tools. If you don’t, your e-business will be in grave danger before you even realize it. Therefore, in this blog, let’s look at how both of these tasks can be accomplished.
How to Check Website Security?
- Application Login Testing
- Contact Form Testing
- Credential Encryption Testing
- User Session Testing
- Testing Against Popular Website Attacks
- Access Permission Testing
By Employing Website Testing Methods
This is also known as website or web application penetration testing. Here you employ a group of trained professionals – known as ethical hackers – to test your website security. These people understand the weak points of your website very well and by testing them, make your website strong enough against various security attacks.
Some of the website security tests they conduct include:
- Application Login Testing: One of the most critical areas of your website or application, which when compromised, can expose sensitive user information to hackers. Also, basic website security tests like account lockout after a specific number of unsuccessful login attempts should be tested.
- Contact Form Testing: This is another area which needs to be tested for security issues. Enterprises often make the mistake of not testing contact forms properly, since they are not critical when compared to other elements. This is the wrong approach, and contact form testing should be a part of any website security testing process.
- Credential Encryption Testing: This type of testing ensures the integrity of the credential encryption process you employ – the one which ensures user credentials are transferred securely over the internet (using https) without falling into wrong hands.
- User Session Testing: Another test for ensuring the integrity of user sessions. That is, ensuring technicalities like session termination immediately after users log out, session termination after prolonged user inactivity and other such things.
- Testing Against Popular Website Attacks: Probably the most important of all. This is where ethical hackers will simulate popular website attacks like Brute-Force, DDoS, SQL Injection and others, and check how your website fairs against these attacks. They will give you advice to improve your security accordingly.
- Access Permission Testing: Ensure you provide hierarchical based access permission to your website. For example, the webmaster team should probably have full-access permission while others should be provided only role-based access. Nothing more or nothing less. Since this is one of the areas which can be easily exploited.
By Using Website Security Tools:
Apart from these testing methods, there are other ways to test your website security as well, with the help of various online website security tools. These tools, within a matter of minutes, test the security posture of your website and alert you to any security threats which may exist.
But while subscribing to the services of such website security tools, enterprises should be wise enough to select only those which are the best in the industry, like our very own web inspector. Otherwise, you’ll get the wrong idea about the security posture of your website.
Comodo Web Inspector Offers:
- Daily Malware Scanning – for checking viruses or malware infections. You will be notified immediately when a problem is discovered.
- Blacklist Monitoring – for checking your website’s online reputation by performing an exhaustive blacklist monitoring check to ensure your website is not blacklisted by major search engines like Google and Yahoo. You will be notified immediately if you’ve been blacklisted.
- PCI Compliance Scanning – Web Inspector also incorporates a full-fledged PCI Scan Compliance solution powered by HackerGuardian.
This will enable you to understand the extent to which your business website complies with PCI standards (extremely crucial for online merchants). (Not available with the basic version*).
- Trust Seal and 24/7 Phone Support – You also get a Web Inspector Scan trust seal using which you can visually communicate to your customers your website is safe, secure, verified and can be trusted. This will give them the confidence to revisit your website. Then there’s the 24/7 customer support as well. (Both of these features are not available with the basic version*).
- Perform Your Website Security Check Using Web Inspector. Keep Your Website Malware Free.